Question
Posted by: styler | 2008/08/25

PUP Eats Pooh

Hi, I have a Pup which is almost 5 months old , He is fond of eating his pooh and licking his pee.
Is he lacking anything or is there something wrong

Dear Styler

Stop feeding him that supermarket grass that come in the dog food bags. Feed him on the best diet you can afford and this usually helps a lot. Pick up the poo before he can get to it (if possible). If no joy you can put ferrous sulphate in the dogs diet to make the poo smell bad for the dog, some people use pineapple as well.

2
Posted by: Dee | 2008/08/28

My one dog when young liked eating cat pooh, now my other dog, about 1 year, likes to eat goat' s and sheep pooh!
I think they grow out of it. Why do dogs like rubbing their necks in pooh?

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/25

There does not seem to be any scientific agreement as to why dogs do this, but consensus seems to be that it is not to correct any nutritional deficiency, but simply because they like it. It also doesn' t actually harm them, although of course it' s a very distasteful concept to their owners.

I tried the pineapple thing - didn' t work: the only solution was to forbid consistently whenever you see it happening, and pick up as regularly as possible: prevention is, in this case, easier than cure.

Reply to Chill