Question
Posted by: Meme | 2011/02/15

Punishing myself

Dear CS

I am a mom of 3 (youngest 5 months oldest 5 years) who has gained about 15 kg since my first baby. I am VERY unhappy with myself about this, and want my old body back. In the past I have always quite easily gotten my mindset right to start losing weight, but not this time. I have a severe separation of my stomach muscles which means I still look 6 months pregnant. It won''t change much with exercise as it needs to be repaired surgically at almost R30 000!! I feel so sorry for myself about this that I punish myself by eating unhealthy snacks. I think its because I feel that even if I lose weight I won''t look much better?? We have no family around, and I work fulltime, so there honestly is no time for me to exercise. I also can''t bring myself to even try. I want to eat better, but I have less than no motivation. I cannot look at myself in the mirror, it disgusts me and I don''t recognize myself. Furthermore I ache and pain all over, some due to sacroiliac joint instability, and also most likely due to the stomach muscles which aren''t supporting my back anymore. And, ofcourse, my frame needing to carry so much extra weight. My BMI is at the upper limit of overweight, but not yet obese. Why can I not get myself to start eating right?

We can't get back our "old body" - our history is inscribed on the body we have. But with a careful diet and exercise program ( where a dietician might be able to help ) one can lose weight and shape up better. Maybe there's a degree of muscle laxness, bu those snacks probably acoun for most of it. Why not get more cruel, and punish yourself with healthy, low-cal snacks instead ?
And aren't there special underwear available that would help keep your present structure in better shape, and maybe help the backache, too ( as would exercise )?

2
Posted by: Happiness | 2011/02/15

Hi Meme,

I''m a mom of 2 kids. I had my second born with a c-section. Six months after giving birth I still looked preggies, even worse people thought I was! I had gained 22kg and wearing size 40

People told me my stomach will remain like that and my only option was to go the surgical route. I believed that.

But my husband encouraged me to exercise, he didn''t believe in surgery. So I started easy by exercising for just 15min Mon -Thursday. I avoided eating junk food during the week and only ate it on weekends. From there I graduated to walking outdoors with hubby. I remember the first race I participated on I was the last one to reach finishing line, but hubby was with me so it didn''t matter.

I started making friends who have the same mission, weightloss. We shared progress and encouraged each other when we felt like quitting. I ended up losing 17kg and my stomach gone! I can see my c-section scar now which used to be impossible with my stomach hanging lol!

Take baby steps and never judge yourself harshly. There''s a lot of wonderfully tasting healthy foods to experiment on. Play around with herbs and spices, you''ll be amazed how simple it is to look and feel like a million bucks

Reply to Happiness