Question
Posted by: Wex | 2004-06-17

Q.

pungent sweat

Over the last 8 to 12 months, I've noticed my sweat has become quite pungent, and even after quite strong scrubbing, the smell remains. I haven't changed my diet, and have maintained roughly the same level of phyical activity (sports etc.)

any thoughts?

Expert's Reply

A.

Wex, it sounds like you might be suffering from bromhidrosis. Bromhidrosis is a condition in which there is a fetid odour of the skin caused by decomposition of the sweat and cellular debris by bacteria and yeasts.
Bromhidrosis often resolves with scrupulous cleanliness. Daily bathing with a liquid soap containing chlorhexidine and application of an aluminium chlorhydroxy complex preparation (found in most commercial antiperspirants) are usually adequate. Topical antibacterial creams or lotions (eg, clindamycin, erythromycin) may be useful adjuncts. Shaving the axillary hair may also be necessary.
Good luck.

1
user comments

C.

Posted by: nelly | 2004-06-30

CyberDoc,

Just to let you know I am one of those who suffer from chronic bromhidrosis and it is Definitely not as easy as cleanliness. I guarantee you that I am one of the cleanest people you would know and I still smell every single day. Not only has this hampered my social life, but it has also caused me to think about killing myself. so please do not say that this is something that can be cured with cleanliness.

Reply to nelly

Want to comment?