Question
Posted by: Ash | 2011/08/22

Pumkin

I love Pumkin and I always cook it the normal way . Normal means with a bit of sugar and stork margarine medium fat spread. Now that Im trying to eat healthy, whats the best way to cook it, or should I say the healthiest way to cook it?

Please advise.

Dear Ash
Pumpkin cooked with sugar and medium-fat margarine provides approx. 486 kJ per 100g. If you just boil pumpkin on its own, it would provide 85 kJ/100g - which is only about 1/4 of the energy content of the pumpkin made with margarine and sugar. You may, however, find that just boiling the pumpkin is not very tasty, so I would suggest that you try baking the pumpkin in the oven at 180C for about 45 min. Cut the pumpkin into slices while retaining the skin and discarding the pips. Place slices/wedges of pumpkin on a baking tray and bake in the oven. The baking process improves the taste considerably. Otherwise add cinnamon and a bit of Canderel or Sucralose sweetener to the cooked pumpkin.
Good luck with your healthy eating plan

1

Dear Ash
Good luck with your healthy eating plan