Question
Posted by: Ja-Nee | 2011/09/08

Pulse Rate &  BP - LOW

What sort of pulse rate and BP do you have?
My pulse has become crazy low - I think.

Today at 3pm my resting (middle of a boring meeting) pulse was 40bpm! Last night at the gym after a 13km run and some sit-ups and stretching it was 55bpm. Now after dinner it is 46bpm.

My blood pressure last night was 100/58, a few weeks ago it was 90/58.

I know lower is better than high, on both counts, but I am thinking this is fairly excessively low - even for me - and could be a big part of why I am:
- Suffering from Reynaud''s Syndrome a lot this winter
- Have been cold all the time and have been
- Putting on weight

Does it sound like a need a check-up?
Noting that I had a life insurance basic health screening with a nurse recently - weight/height/ cholesterol/BP etc. and she remarked on how low my BP was but didn''t seem concerned about it... I am a 37 year old female, 1.66m, 57kg and fairly fit and active.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Ja Nee

It sounds like your heart rate and pulse are low because you are young and fit. Those are normal readings for a young healthy woman, something to be very pleased about! If there was a market for pulses and blood pressures, you could get a high price for yours!

I would take your pulse and BP only for interest, they should be cause for celebration not concern. And I very much doubt they have anything to with your Reynaud's syndrome

JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/09/14

Hi Ja Nee

JT

Reply to Cardiologist