Question
Posted by: james | 2010/12/16

pulse rate

I am 19 years old athletically built student and I have a resting pulse rate of 90 my blood pressur rate is normal 120 over 80
why then is my resting pulse rate so high compared to my fellow students in the same age bracket as theirs is around 75
I have checked it at various times of the day for 3 weeks with a new electronic cuff monitor and also checked it at uni for verification and it is right.After a run or long cycle ride then it goes up to around 130 so that is ok it is only the at rest that worries me.
thanks James..

Hallo James
Some people just have a faster resting pulse rate than others. Normally, the fitter you are, the lower it is, but if you don't have any symptoms like irregular heartbeats, or dizziness or tiredness, it may be normal for you. You could maybe go for a routine ECG to check that everything is OK just for your own peace of mind.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/12/16

Hallo James
dr Bets