Posted by: K | 2011-11-23

I exercise 6 days a week. I speedwalk/run 4 of those days and I go on treadmill 6 evenings a week for 45 min. How come my resting pulse is 76? Shouldnt it be lower? Sometimes it is 80. I have hypertension and am on medication. I am not overweight and eat extremely healthily, no red meat only chicken occasionally. I am a 45yr , 1.61m, 52.5kg woman. Sometimes I feel my pulse racing. My BP is about 94/62.

Hi K

It's usually lower, but that number can vary a lot. And it can be deceptive, because it depends a lot on how you measure it. For example, do you measure it first thing in the morning, and do you have to move from where you were lying in bed to do it? Do you measure it later in the day when it's already elevated? And then of course, different people just have different resting heart rates. It doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that you have a high heart rate.

I'd be curious to know the heart rate during exercise - it'll probably also be very high, and that would indicate that you just have this high value.

It's worth monitoring at least to understand, but unless there's some other reason, like chest pain or you feel skipped beats now and then, or palpitations, it's likely nothing to worry about. If you do have those symptoms, of course, then it's worth looking into further.