Question
Posted by: Anja | 2011-07-26

Pulling out the blankets and ripping them up

I have 2 pups they are a 1.5yrs old, they seem to love to pull their blankets out of their kennel and rip it up, we''ve tried different types of blankets but each time they just keep pulling it out. then we tried not giving them blankets at all but we feel so sorry for them that we eventually give in and buy new ones all over again. The one blacket that lasted the longest was the one they had since we brought them home it lasted about a year before it got ripped up aswell. Any usefull advice?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Anja, firstly are you giving your pups enough physical and mental stimulation by way of daily walks, varied chew toys in the garden, even digging pits etc? If not, then get stuck into this straight away.
Dogs often engage in this behaviour due to boredom and frustration, plus we do need to remember that they are dogs and pulling and ripping at prey is something that they would have done in nature.
What may help if after exercising, playing with them, giving them attention etc, the blankets are only put in the kennel at night, along with some really nice, varied chew toys to keep them busy instead. Hve a look at my friendsofthedog website, under the Puppy section for an article on chew Toys and Chewing and this will give you some great ideas of what you can use. thanks and do let me know how it goes, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-07-26

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert