Posted by: Cyclist-in-training | 2009-01-12

Pulled muscle in buttock

I have a pulled muscle in my left buttock, which is affecting my cycling. I tried resting it, and it seemed better - it wasn' t sore when I was mountain biking over the holidays, but now that I' m riding my road bike again, I' m very aware of it - especially on hills. I' m training for the Argus, so can' t really afford a long rest period. Is there anything else you can suggest? It hurts while I' m cycling - after about 5kms, and then worse when I' m putting in more effort, and then it' s sore for about a day or so afterwards.

Hi Cyclist-in-training

You might consider seeing a physio for some massage. Sometimes when a muscle has been pulled, it tightens up and becomes difficult to use afterwards. So the injury has healed, but the scar tissue and tightness is the problem. So you might well find that you just need some stretching and massage to sort it out.

Short of this, there's not much - you just have to encourage recovery.

Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-01-13

You could rub in Repiral gel and might even drink an anti- inflammatory medication.

Reply to Zexeon