Question
Posted by: Frustrated | 2011/08/11

Pug started messing in the house

What would cause my 5 month old pug, whom I thought was house broken, to start messing in the house all of a sudden?

He never used to be like that. I could leave him alone in house unattended and I wouldn''t have a problem with him messing but it seems as if just overnight he forgets that he needs to go to his potty area and just goes wherever he feels like.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi there Frustrated (and I understand why!)It could be a number of things such as having a physical cause and it would be an idea to get the dog checked by your vet just to be safe, as if the problem is physical, virtually nothing you do from a behaviour point of view will help.

If the soiling is only inappropriate urination and the dog is not sterilized, then that would be a contributing factor, as the dog will be marking.
If this is the case, have the dog sterilized (responsible ownership and much better for the dog), and start toilet training right from the beginning. I have put a link to an article on toilet training at the end. In addition to cleaning with the vinegar/water mixture, put down pure citronella oil on the soiled areas.

If none of the above, there are two other factros that could be causing it:-
1, a 'mistake' has happened and the dog is now viewing the area as an inside toilet as it has not been cleaned correctly, or perhaps he got additional attention by way of being scolded for the mistake - to a dog attention is attention whether negative or positive.
2, The behaviour could be stress related i.e. new addition to family, owner having been away, new neighbours, new neighbours etc. We seldom realize how much our own stress impacts on the dog.

As a behaviourist, the first thing that is done is to look for the reason as to why the behaviour is happening and then apply modifications. So see which of the above is applicable and then start toilet training right from the beginning. Good luck and link below, thanks Scotty
http://www.health24.com/medical/Focus_centres/777-2268-2552-2678,61400.asp

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/08/12

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert