Question
Posted by: Tania | 2008/08/14

Pug Problems

I have a 11-month old male Pug whom I love very much. Soon after we purchased him from a reputable breeder, he developed Demodex ( mange ) which cost me a fortune to treat as he had a very bad outbreak.

Two weeks ago he developed an ulcer on his eye which we treated for a week which didn' t help, which then resulted in us having his 3rd eye lid stitched over his eye to speed up the healing. I have to take him to the vet for a check up tonight but looking at his eye, it seems the ulcer hasn' t cleared. I think the next step would be a facelift to remove folds under his eyes ( which is what my vet recommended if the eye lid thing didn' t work ). Is this the only way to go? I don' t want to have to put him through all that and not to mention the vet bill!

Many thanks,

Dear Tania

Pugs don't have the best skins or eyes. Ulcers are a common prob with pugs as the eyeball is big and do not get the lubrication it needs from the lids. The other common problem is that the skin makes a fold under the eye and cause the hair to rub on the surface of the eyeball causing the ulcer. This will need surgery if very bad. Ulcers can take weeks to heal and if the dog had a 3rd eyelid stitch you would not be able to see if the ulcer healed or not.

Get the ulcer healed first and always keep the hair short around the eyes, this may help and surgery can sometimes be prevented. Ask your vet to check for dry eye as well as this may be an underlying problem that can be treated.

Sorry, I'm not very helpfull but there is not an easy way forward with this one.

1
Posted by: peke lover | 2008/08/25

My previous pekingese went blind due to the hair rubbing in his eyes, as they also have protruding eyes and the folds. The Animal Eye Clinic in Fourways advised us the hair should never be cut away as this grows back coarser and causes more damage, removing the folds is the only way to go.

Reply to peke lover