Posted by: B | 2009-03-22

Puffy eyes

I have terrible puffy eyes in the morning - the doctors does not really seem to know what would cause it. I get enough sleep and follow a healthy diet. What are the possible causes? I am 37 years old.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi B, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as ideally one would like to examine the area first before deciding on a diagnosis and treatment regime.

Typically ‘puffy eyes’ that appear worse in the morning and improve during the day are caused by fluid buildup. There are a number of reasons for the fluid accumulation and can range from allergies, sinus infection, poor lymph drainage, fat accumulation under the eye, ligament laxity, etc. one may consider a short course of antihistamines and even a diuretic to see if the puffy eyes improve. Furthermore one can massage the area to aid the lymph drainage and your beauty therapist can demonstrate how this can be performed at home.