Question
Posted by: D | 2010/07/06

PTSD/stress

Hi Justin

I have just been (6 months ago) through a very traumatic psychotherapeutic relationship (I was in therapy with him for 4 years) where the psychiatrist concerned has since been dealt with by SASOP through the Peer Review process. Whilst physical boundaries were not crossed, many others were and in so doing I have ended up feeling mentally abused to put it lightly (even though I know it was not his intention to abuse me). I also come from a history of CSA. I am in ongoing therapy in order to deal with it but my therapist is away at the moment (thus my reason for contacting you).

Whilst I have been assured by 4 senior psychiatrists and 4 psychologists as well as legal counsel that this is in no way my fault. I still sit with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach (I trusted him), major loss of self belief and feel that I will never really understand what happened - although it would seem to be clear to everyone else given the objective evidence in the boundary transgressions. I have tried so hard to move on and in most departments I am coping. However the other day I saw him on the side of the road and I literally fell apart. I shook and trembled uncontrollably and couldn''t stop crying. I took 2 days to recover. Unfortunately when I become anxious like this I tend to mentally obsess/left brain chatter (and all the self-doubt comes racing back) and this just exacerbates everything. Is this normal/PTSD and how long do these things take to settle?

Thanking you in advance.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear D,

You asked:
Is this normal/PTSD and how long do these things take to settle?

No, not always. Your situation sounds terribly debilitating and it's clear you have enough psycho-therapeutic support for this. PTSD states are often physiological, emotional and not only a psychological problem.

It would seem that you would gain much benefit from this approach to control your symptoms.

Please complete your Type D profile at www.stressedpersonality.com so we can offer some immediate support.

Kindest,
Justin

3
Posted by: justin@kennedy.co.za | 2010/07/24

D,
You are most welcome :) And I wish you well. It seems that therapy may be not the best resolve for you here. Have you sought other options?
JK

Reply to justin@kennedy.co.za
Posted by: D | 2010/07/08

Thank you so much for the support. My therapist returned from holiday today so I was able to chat about this with her. Given what I have been through, she seemed to feel that the reaction was normal.

Trusting myself at the moment is proving to be a huge issue. It is frightening how much trust you place in the hands of somebody like your therapist. I just did not fully realise how vulnerable I was but I guess it was not my job to do so. I did full out the profile and sent in my email for more info.

Thank you once again for your concern.
Regards D

Reply to D
Posted by: Stress Reduction Expert | 2010/07/08

Dear D,

You asked:

Kindest,
Justin

Reply to Stress Reduction Expert