Question
Posted by: mj | 2012/06/15

PTSD

can anyone reccomend a ptsd support group in sandton/randburg areas, thanks

I wish there were many PTSD support groups, and have for years recommended this to the folks at the ept of Health, but I'm not aware of any. Do let me know in a fresh posting here, if you find any.
Such groups are useful for professionally diagnosed PTSD. Do be very cautious about avoiding the damaging therapy too often offered to staff of institutons like banks or big stores after something nasty happens, called CISD, or Critical Incident Stress Debriefing, as good research has shown it is not only ineffective, but can often make things worse. In the early phase after a trauma, doing nothing at all is more useful than CISD.

1