Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/03/13

PTSD

I have been through a very traumatic experience 2 months ago. I still have not shown any emotion and the doctor says it''s PTSD. It''s is driving me crazy. I want to mourn my husband and i want to be angry at the people who shot him, but i just don''t feel anything. It is like i am on auto pilot. What should i do?

Well that's not 1uite how one diagnoses PTSD. Tom diagnose PTSD requires a lot more than one single symptom, and needs a range of symptoms according to internationally agreed criteria. It could be part of PTSD if there are other symptoms present, or there could be other causes. Now if the issue is not mourning properly, and feeling locked in an unfeeling state of denial, and of not being able to mourn, PTSD is indeed a possibility or some variety of pahological grief. What would be very wise would be to see a good local psychiatrist for a full expert assessment, and treatment advice. IF this is PTSD or pathological grief, it can be helped by CBT counselling and by certain medications - but a specialist asessment is needed to clarify the diagnosis

1