Question
Posted by: mickey | 2010-03-06

PTS

My daughter had an accident and had to have stitches in her foot. It was not a big event but she gets nightmares of what could have happened and what could have gone wrong. She is 16. How can I help her.

There's no such thing as PTS, but there IS such a thing as PTSD. SHe should be assessed properly by a good local shrink, as the diagnosis needs to be p[roperly made and treated if present. You don't mention how recently the accident ocurred - some such reactions are normal in the first 2 weeks after a nasty event like an accident, but if they persist after that, a shrink should be consulted

2
Posted by: qwerty | 2010-03-08

A few years ago I tried to take the pip out of an avocado by flicking it out with a sharp knife, and the knife (predictably) slipped on the pip, through the avo and into my hand.
It opened an artery and there was a little fountain of blood squirting out of my hand, and little pools of blood all over the kitchen. Quite dramatic.

Ended up getting one stitch, so it also really wasn''t a big event. But afterwards everytime I closed my eyes I would " relive"  the event over and over. I also had nightmares about it, and it really stayed with me for a few days, and I couldn''t shake the almost constant feeling of dread about what had happened, and what could have happened. But it DID fade after a few days, and I was fine. So if it was a fairly recent event, I think give her a bit of time and let her talk about it as much as she needs, to get it out of her system.

Good luck!

Reply to qwerty