Question
Posted by: EX Friend | 2010/11/21

Psycology - not what I thought it would be.

Dear doc –  I got myself involved in the wrong peoples business –  The wife has been studying counselling family law and the got herself registered with Famsa - as a family councillor. She then went and declared war with her husband –  pulling out every dirty trick in the book. She was a friend
of mine until recent but I know better than to believe every word she said. What gets to me is the way she manipulated a Forensic psychologist to believe her –  The very long report that was written about this case, contain so many absolute wrong facts –  Now she walks around telling everyone and barging to us. What horrifies me is the fact that I was asked to speak to this psychologist as well –  for the sake of the children. - Now the father is made out to be a monster, more a bit of a idiot than a monster. He should have known his wife is only after his money, as this is all that she ever talked about. I have now broken all ties with both parties as it is a sick story and the wife is a sick woman, I feel guilty for the children’ s sake, and feel responsible for the father now being restricted to see his children. - I have seen and know that a lot of the facts in this report is not true, and it leaves me confused. I will never again testify for any child sake. I hoped that with the correct guidance my former friend would get the help she needed –  now it''s all one big night mare, the innocent children is much worse of and I have lost all confidence in someone that is classified as a forensic Psychologist. - My believe in Psychology is so rattled that I feel a bit lost, and responsible for the outcome being so WRONG

If the psychologist simply accep[ted everything she told him/her without checking properly, and without being aware of the likelihood of bias, then he/she wasn't doing their job properly.
Presumably she only nominated to the shrink people like you who she assumed would back her up - did you tell the psychologist about all of your doubts and concerns ?
Actually, there's no formal registration as "forensic psychologist", so people may call themselves wthis without having good experience in doing such tasks well.
marias's response is, as usual, wise and thoughtful.

2

Posted by: Maria | 2010/11/21

Ex Friend, this is truly sad. I am a psychology student. A couple of years ago my husband and I were involved in a contested adoption that went to court. The conduct of the other party''s psychologist was so unprofessional and damaging that I seriously questioned my desire to join this profession. However, in time I came to realise that psychologists are just human. Sometimes they make mistakes. Sometimes they see what they want to see despite their training. Sometimes they have agendas of their own that might not be readily apparent. Please don''t judge an entire profession by the actions of one individual. Also realise that because of your ex-friend''s background she will have a great deal of insight into how the system works and what psychologists look at.

As for the kids... if the father asks you, would you be willing to speak to the family advocate? Perhaps the situation could still be changed for the better? There is a Family Law Expert forum and a divorce support forum here as well, if the father posts there he might get valuable advise about what he can do to get fair access to his kids.

Reply to Maria