Question
Posted by: Curious | 2011-09-05

Psychotic Boss

Hi Doc,
We have a big problem in our office, we have all been working here for 4+ years, so are used to the problem - which does not make it any easier to stomach! We just want to try and understand it.. The problem is this:
Our divisional manager is a 51 year old woman, whos tarted going through menopause in 2008. This was when her " problems"  started. She was once pleasant, but since then, she has become a nightmare to deal with. Everyday we all walk on glass in order to accomodate her mood swings. She is vicious, spiteful and it is revolting working with her. She does not concern herself with proper work issues that need managing, but will hone in on personal issues based on pure spite, that really should not concern her at all. She is also a heavy drinker (i have had the misfortune of having known her for many years), and has been probably since her late teens. She is married with 2 children who have both left home within the last few years.
One moment the woman is hyper active, laughing and over the top, and the next hour she can be on a spiteful bender to nail anyone within spitting distance.
I''m only touching on the tip of the ice berg here, but do you think this is bipolar? Psychosis? or is this normal behaviour for an alcoholic going through menopause? Help Please!! There are about 6 of us in the office who would walk out in a split second if it were an option because of this woman. We cant talk to the MD as they are friends (socially).

Thank you.

I suspect a number of people will be enjoying the new film about awful bosses !
Anon makes sense, if such a thing is practical.
Menopause is no excuse for her bad behaviour, and she should be seeking effective treatment for her moods and temper tantrums. And for her alcoholism.
I doubt that this is bipolar disorder, to popular an excuse. Is there anyone who is in an HR capacity, who ought to be recognizing and dealing with this problem ? Otherwise, maybe recording her tantrums and sending these to the boss might help. If the MF is much of a friend, (a) he should have noticed and recognize her problems and how they impact unfairly on others, and (b) he should want her to get help for them.

3
Posted by: HR | 2011-09-05

Ask HR to set up a appraisal system for staff to give on managers - most big companies do this.
staff fill this in anonomously- when 100% of staff state that this manager is inconsistent in her management style they have to investigate

Reply to HR
Posted by: Anon | 2011-09-05

Cant you maybe come up with a way of setting a trap for her where she would be way out of line, and the MD would have no option but to " investigate"  Maybe a hidden video camera filming her outbursts and then somebody sending it to him anonomously. I know this sounds like an awful thing to do to a person, but if it is that bad that you would all walk out if you were able to. She sounds positively dreadful. I wish you luck