Question
Posted by: Louise | 2010/04/06

Psychotherapy guilt cont

I have broached termination with him. He said something about a " corrective emotional experience" . He says that whilst he is not permitted to openly admit his feelings, he feels that he can be authentic about them.

He says that I am being obtuse about his feelings. He says that I will not " own"  certain empathic feelings in him and that I will not " own"  the same feelings in myself. ????

This is not a term used in methods of psychotherapy that are backed by good research proving their effectiveness, and sounds more like the usual sort of analyst's trick false explanation as an excuse for therapy becoming fruitlessly inpleasant. All you quote from him sounds to me like empty jargon, and confirms my earlier impression that this guy is not helping you.
Tell him you're looking up Freud's paper on analysis "terminable and interminable", as even Freud recognized that therapy can become endless and sterile
YOU are an autonomous adult, capable of thinking for yourself, and should feel entirely free to make up your own mind. You don't need to accept his arguments or explanations, and you do not need his permission to end therapy ( only analysts talk of "termination" which make it sound more like an abortion than a rational decision to end a pointless occupation ).
Maybe if you leave ( and try some genuinely modern and validated therapy like CBT ) he himself can have a corrective emotional experience" ?

4
Posted by: Woman | 2010/04/07

Louise, I have read your questions and the answers from CS. In my opinion, you need to stop seeing this therapist. I know it''s sad, since you obviously trusted him and built a relationship of sorts with him. And, from the way you tell it, vice versa. However, once the professional relationship has been breached, there is no other choice but to terminate therapy with him.

Find another therapist - just for a second opinion, and if this man is truly interested in you, then you can start dating away from ethical dilemmas once your new therapist has made a prognosis.

There really is no other way, my dear. He can be struck from the roll if he acts on his attraction, so if you really are interested, stop seeing him, and then see where it goes.

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Louise | 2010/04/06

No not proud. Just very, very sad - I guess I trusted him. I think even Freud struggled to distinguish between transference and love. He also came up with the defence mechanism called projection - something you might want to look into.

Reply to Louise
Posted by: Oh bother | 2010/04/06

Get over yourself! You keep on asking the same question in differnet ways. Are you proud of this " problem" . You have been givin advice - take it ot leave it.

Reply to Oh bother