Question
Posted by: Blinkers | 2011/10/15

Psychopath/Sociapath

Dear Doc
I have a strange story. My husband helped a young woman start a business. THis woman is married to a wealthy old man. When I met this woman, she seemed very normal, (apart from talking far too much and non-stop) she appeared quite pleasant and on the ball. But then I noticed strange things, ie. she lies, tells ridiculous stories about people, has affairs with other men while she is married, gossips terrible things about people and plots and plans ugly things, i.e. she apparently hired people to hurt someone and it turns out someones limb was broken by the cronies she paid to do it. We dont have evidence as its all based on hearsay etc, but I know she must be involved, however cannot report it coz there simply is no evidence. She is manipulative, pays people to do dirty things etc. and gets away with it. My husband does not completely believe everything, but he is also suspicious.
The man she is married to either pays people to keep quiet about her acts or is oblivious to what is going on. Either way, this is hugely desturbing and I wonder what I can do since every time I think that she cant do anything worse, she does! I have never seen anything like it, except in the movies and am gobsmacked at how she gets away with things. I thought about telling her husband about her affair anonymously, but then worry that he do something to her which would rest on my conscience. I feel like I am living in in a bubble, because I cannot even comprehend how this woman comes up with the calculating and manipulative behaviour, hurts and maims other and comes out smelling like roses as she plays the victim quite well and understands how to use human emotions well enough to use it against people and to her advantage. Do you think she could be sociopathic or psychotic? and what can I do? You know they say bad things prevail when good men sit around and do nothing.

Hi B,
You do indeed seem to be describing a sociopath or psychopath, someone who needs to be avoided by all sensible people. Obviously she wouldn't want to actually pay for her own schemes, but if she had a rich old man bamboozled, why did your husband think he needed to help her start a business ( I bet there was never a viable business plan, either ) ?
Why on earth do thei pair of you continue to have anything at all to do with such a loathsome person ? Why do you feel you have to DO anything about it, as there seems to you to be no way to do so ? Simply refuse ( and your husband, too ) to have anything to do with her forever more - don't speak to her, contact her, or take calls from her. Move on with your own lives, and leave her to her own horrible one.

1

Hi B,