Question
Posted by: Gabby | 2012-05-14

Psychopath vs relationship

hi doc. i need a reference to a good psyciatrist. i am in a " relationship"  with a psychopath (yes he was diagnosed as one years ago), and i cannot take it anymore, he lies, he manipulates he leaves me for days on end to work across the border only for me to find out that he is 8km away from me living with his ex wife. everybody tells me to move and get him out of my life, and i want to, but i am still clinging and dont know why, why can i not let go, i am so fearfull and need help, i need help in letting go of wanting to stay....

We absoltuely CANNOT make any referrals or recommendations to specirfic shrinks or doctors, for many excellent reasons. It does sound as though the guy you're with is a psychopath, and i so NOBODY would be able to have a consistently happy relationship with him. He would manipulate as automatically as other people breathe.
Of course you should get away from him, and stay away, and stop clinging to someone so obviously bad for you - you deserve better than that ! Any competent local counsellor wshould be able to help you do this, and once you have set yourself free from this guy, you won't believe how much better life can be.

5
Posted by: Gabby | 2012-05-16

thank you for the advice...

Reply to Gabby
Posted by: My psychotic father | 2012-05-15

My father was a psycopath and he finally killed himself but not before trying to kill us being my mom, my 2 brothers, our dog and myself. He has been dead over 20 years and the trauma is still with it. With the help of psychologists I am OK and so is my mom but my brothers not so good.

GET HIM OUT OF YOUR LIFE AS SOON AS YOU CAN. HE WILL NEVER CHANGE AND HE WILL DESTROY YOU.

You really deserve more and have the intelligence to recognise the help you need. All the best, and find a psychologist in your area. A local GP could help.

Survivor of a Psycopath

Reply to My psychotic father
Posted by: Gabby | 2012-05-14

East Rand Area, but PTA, JHB doesnt really matter.

Reply to Gabby
Posted by: Maria | 2012-05-14

It is impossible to keep track of all good psychologists so CS won''t be able to refer you. But if you post where you live, perhaps a reader can recommend someone in your area.

Reply to Maria