Psychologist vs Psychiatrist

What is the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist? I suffer from Anxiety and have been taking medication for 6 years and seeing a psychologist to assist with various life skills but my GP has recommended that I see a psychiatrist.

A psychiatrist is a fuly trained medical doctor, who then specializes for yet more years of study and training, in this whole field of psychological / social problems and mental illness. A psychologist has no medical training, but specializes from the start in mental health and mental illness. A psychologicst can provide useful help in psychological testing and in psychotherapy / counselling, talking therapies. A psychiatrist can also provide such talking treatments, but can also prescribe medications.
Its unusual to need medication for 6 years to treat depression, though often used tranquillizers help to relieve the symptoms without relieving the disorder. Other meds, including some also used to treat depression, can be very helpful in getting rid of an Anxiety Disorder, and a pschiatrist could also do a more detailed assessmetn of tyour condition, to be sure this is the best diagnosis. As for counselling from a psychologist, I hope you have been receiving CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, the only form for which there's loads of good research showing that it is highly effecting in relieving anxiety --- and that would include learning not only life skills in general, but specific skills in dealing with anxiety when it starts to arise

psychologist = loves to talk to you
psychiatrist = loves to give you drugs