Question
Posted by: gabriel | 2010/11/08

psychological effects on erection

Hi there.

I am a 21 year old male, suffering from no apparent allergies or ailments. About several months ago I read an article about penis lengthening and got so excited I actually tried it. It was the method of hanging a weight from the penis. I didn't hang the weight for too long but once I removed it it immediately felt as if I'd pulled a muscle. It wasn't painful but slightly uncomfortable. The next day my girlfriend and I were intimate and I couldn't get an erection. It surprised me and, needless to say, I became worried and it drained me both emotionally and physically.

After a few days of intensive retrospect and researching I came to the conclusion that it was a psychological problem. As soon as I admitted that aloud the problem seemed to seize. I could get and maintain hard erections as flippantly as before. I thought I'd conquered the problem.

Recently I moved back to my old neighbourhood and my girlfriend and I have maintained our relationship despite the distance. She's about to visit me and it seems the problem has started again. Literally, yesterday I could get erections and today I struggle to maintain one. As soon as I stop stimulating myself the erection subsides.

I'd like to know if my analysis and conclusion of the situation is at all a fair one and that I am actually suffering from a psychological problem as opposed to a physical problem. Could I have torn some soft tissue whilst attempting the penile tension? If so, how is it that I was able to achieve erections once I''d convinced myself that the problem was a psychological one?

Thanking you in advance for the great work you guys are doing in answering all these questions we have about sex.

Apologies for the delay in responding, Gabriel, I wanted to confer with some medical colleagues to confirm my thinking.

As I suspected, both doctors were quite satisfied that if there were some physical damage then you would be experiencing other symptoms such as a new bend/curvature of the penis and/or pain.

It is most likely therefore that your problems are related to your concerns about the size of your penis (which having followed some of the discussion on this site and your responses suggests that you are above average!) and worries about losing your erection.

Psychological factors can wreak havoc on our sexual response and the best thing that you can do is to try to relax and focus on sensation and not on how hard your penis is or whether you might lose the erection - this thinking inhibits the sexual response.

Thanks also for your praises at the end of your post - much appreciated!

Best of luck - and please don't tie anything to your penis again!

Claire - SASHA

6
Posted by: Sexologist | 2010/11/10

Claire - SASHA

Reply to Sexologist
Posted by: gabriel | 2010/11/09

Thanx for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. I do realise that I probably see my penis as smaller than it actually is and that my problem is more psychological than anything else. I''ll take heed of your advice and accentuate my wood lol. Cheers

Reply to gabriel
Posted by: jelly | 2010/11/09

I think that your size is normal even a bit bigger than a lot of us, use it correctly and I am sure your girlfriend will love it, I found that my grit is also not suficient sometimes, what I do is when I having sex, I use the missionery style and I sort off use a " rolling "  mosion. I move my buttocks by rolling them.

Reply to jelly
Posted by: gabriel | 2010/11/09

Hi Jelly.

Lol...I hear what you''re saying and I''ve refrained entirely from hanging things from my penis. It was something I thought I''d try simply to see the effects, not thinking about the damage I could have inflicted.
My size fluctuates between 16 and 17cms. What I was hoping to achieve was a widening in my girth. I mean, my girth isn''t bad (if I measured it correctly - 14cms) but I''d like it to be a little wider simply for my girlfriend''s sake. I know girth is definitely more important than length.

Reply to gabriel
Posted by: gabriel | 2010/11/09

Hi Jelly.

Reply to gabriel
Posted by: jelly | 2010/11/09

Tru that this can be a psychological problem, but before you think of that stop hanging things on your penis.I suppose you think you are to small or the lenght is to short.What you have is what you must use, and the way you use it. The other side of the coin is, go with the flow, once you start with the foreplay, forget the fact that your penis will not get stiff and stay stiff, it will as long as you have fun.By the way what is your size.

Reply to jelly