Question
Posted by: D | 2010/04/11

Psychoanalysis - are they taking it seriously

As per your comment, I am hoping he does not have a propensity for the type of mistake he has made - I genuinely believe that it was a one off but a very serious one at that. What I cannot understand is that the writing was on the wall - even I saw that, yet he did not. I was his only psychotherapy patient which I have subsequently discovered is a problem in itself. SASOP appointed a senior therapist to review the matter as they felt out of their depth as regards the psychoanalysis. Do you think that this would indicate that they are taking the matter seriously (I have very little knowledge of these procedures)??

What really saddened me is that the SASOP head of Peer Review commented that he was a highly esteemed psychiatrist (he is in academic circles as he is currently involved in groundbreaking research at UCT but it seems he is unheard of as a psychotherapist) - almost as if I had a cheek questioning his reputation - yet how many psychotherapists send their patients e-mails at 8h30pm at night suggesting they might need a push up Southern Cross during the 2 Oceans, etc, etc - perhaps this might be considered groundbreaking psychotherapy!!??

I vascillate between extreme anger and unbelievable sadness and loss - I went into therapy with very little self-belief and self-esteem - I have come out(and I am lucky to be alive) not really knowing what is real anymore and wondering what I have done wrong.

Yes, he might be a highly esteemed psychiatrist(and I guess I''m a nobody) but does this exempt him from any accountability. In perusing SASOP''s constitution, I read something about the rights of the patient - they seem to have forgotten these in their haste to cover up reputations. After all is it not the profession itself, rather than those who represent it, whose sanctity is paramount? Upholding the sanctity would suggest a balancing of interests and I can only hope that they consider this in the peer review process.

Forgive the sermon but I guess the hurt speaks for itself.

Indeed. if one has only a single psychotherapy patient - can you really afford to enable that person to get well ?
A problem with psychoanalysis is that it takes itself far, far too seriously, as do too many analysts.
Sounds odd if the guy is involved in "ground-breaking" research ( I wonder what ground he is breaking - surely not analytical ) and then, whether he has actually been formally and fully trained as an analyst ( which would have involved he himself undergoing a training analyst, to help him understand and deal with the sort of issues which seem to have arisen here ) or whether it's more of a sort of hobby of his ?
I think SASOP and the medical / Health Professions Council are FAR too obsessed with their view of some people as highly esteemed professionally, and too little concerned with simply reviewing any complaints objectively and as they should in the case of anyone, esteemed or not. Mere professional and administrative success is not something to get so esteemed up about !
Reputations can be basd on many different factors, some of them political and Political, and not at all related to actual clinical skills or good clinical practice. Some of the most feeble and unethical shrinks I have known were Professors or lecturers or were notable in their profession. There is no necessary correlation.
Only by acting objectively to stop incompetent pracices by practising docs, can a profession promote and deserve respect
And i a person has dont nothing wrong, its a service to everyone to establish that openly and objectively.

2
Posted by: D | 2010/04/12

Do you think the fact that they have appointed a senior therapist to review the case indicates that they are taking it seriously? I have been informed that he was undergoing supervision during my therapy.

Reply to D