Question
Posted by: D | 2010-05-08

psychoanalysis

If of interest the following was issued by the CTSPP after I queried their validity. No - just because I offer a different opinion does not mean I have been brainwashed by the psychoanalytic " cult" .

" With regard to the former, we felt it would be unethical to comment on your individual case or the qualifications of the therapist involved. Nonetheless, we certainly acknowledge your feelings about your situation. Our position is clear: We support the public''s right to make as informed as possible a decision as to what kind of psychological intervention is best suited to their needs. However, we realize this isn''t always easy, given the wide variety of interventions available and the varying levels of professional competence. We also agree that psychoanalytic psychotherapy is not suited to everyone. However, for many it can be a meaningful, nourishing, and deeply healing journey.

With regard to the latter issue, while we respect Cybershrink''s right to an opinion about psychoanalysis, we feel that it is important that we comment on the information that is being disseminated in the public space with regard to psychoanalytic psychotherapy. Our concern is that personal opinion presented by an expert in a public forum becomes accepted as fact by the the broader community. Psychoanalysis as a clinical method is scientific, far from outdated, and in keeping with some of the most recent advances in neuroscience. Please see for example: Roth, A &  Fonagy, P. (2005). What Works For Whom? 2nd Ed. The Guilford Press: New York.

Members of the Cape Town Society for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy (CTSPP) are legally qualified mental health practitioners such as clinical psychologists, nurses or social workers registered with a formal Council (HPCSA, SANC, SACSSP). Each member is required to have had or be having substantial psychoanalytic psychotherapy and be in ongoing psychoanalytic supervision. This is an essential part of our work as we endeavour to create a space for self-reflection and self-scrutiny to monitor ourselves consistently, knowing that there are unconscious factors that influence our thoughts, feelings and behaviour. As members of the CTSPP we endeavour to uphold an ethical code guided by ethical principles of 1) maintaining consciousness  2.) confidentiality  3.) avoiding exploitation  4.) boundary violations (sexual or non-sexual)  5.) professional competence  6.) inter-collegial relations. Each of these principles in turn, informs our standards of practice. We also have monthly lectures for the public, which apply psychoanalysis in a variety of contexts from politics, to refugee or to couple work, to mother infant interactions etc. We encourage you to attend.

From a broader perspective, most South African universities offer psychoanalytic theory as one important aspect of the Clinical Psychology Masters training. Furthermore, in Cape Town, a significant proportion of the practicing therapists are members of the South African Association of Jungian Analysts, Cape Town Self Psychology Group and the CTSPP. Each of these organisations has recently become part of a newly formed national body of psychoanalytic psychotherapists (South African Psychoanalytic Confederation). In addition, a psychoanalytic training of analysts accredited by International Psychoanalytic Association is currently being instituted." 

sigh
I do NOT approve of you dragging me into your long-running debates or referring anything I may have said to this pro-analytic trades union group. That they acredit each other, and are being accredited by other similar groups proves nothing. NOTHING they say seems to refer to actual recognizable good quality research.
It is clear that you are committed to a life in analysis, and I hope you find someone with whom you can safely enjoy that long journey.
I have no further interest in what you seem to seek as a long-running debate
sigh

2
Posted by: Fairness | 2010-05-09

Actually CS I have been following this with ionterest and I do feel a bit sorry for D. She has obviously been through a very traumatic experience with her therapy and cannot help how she speaks. I don''t know how comparing her tharapist to a rapist and a predator would help her? Also just telling her that she is a psychoanalyst because she is a bit anal is maybe not fair.

Reply to Fairness

sigh
sigh