Question
Posted by: D | 2010/04/09

psychoanalysis

As per my query in 1038 - I found your response very interesting. Just wish I knew all that before I went into therapy. The psychiatrist concerned is currently under review by SASOP for amongst other things mismanagement and countertransference related issues. I have been advised by other psychiatrists and legal counsel to take the matter to the HPSCA as I have been very traumatised and almost lost my life as a result. Just don''t have any fight left and at the end of the day the feelings involved were mutual. I believe he meant well but I guess we are all human. Thank you for your help.

Sorry to hear more about your troubles. It's a pity that the HPSCA route is not an easy r confortable one, but may be so valuable if it stops someone with any propensity for behaving badly or incompetently in a clinical context, from harming or distressing other people.
I wouldn't necessarily be as easily forgiving as you. It was not your fault that the feelings became mutual - within the cult-like provesses of psychoanalysis, this possibility is extremely well recognized, and any competent analyst should at least be thoroughly aware of such problems, recognize them early, and able to prevent anyone from being distressed by them. And for the therapist to act on them in any way or to any extent is not acceptable. Some such issues may arise more uncommonly in other forms of medical practise, and one may forgive a surgeon, or whoever, for not recognizing what is arising - but not an analyst, as this is one of the pillars of his method.
Meaning well is not always enough ( someone who sincerely damages you may still need to be prevented from doing this to anyone else )
However, I hope you can find someone to help with any remaining problems, who will not exaggerate them. One of the things I like about CBT, is that it is brisk, business-like, brief, and focussed on objective matters rather than misty theories. And if treatment starts to become prolonged, it automatically asks why and seeks to revise that

1