Question
Posted by: ripper | 2008/12/04

psycho problem with getting aroused

Hello cybershrink

I am a 51 year old white male.

I had a relationship with a girl that proved to be a turning point in my sexual life – (more psychological) and not for the better I might add. I went into the relationship with my head and not my heart. She has a rather abrasive and foul mouth (swears continually). I found this very offputting –  but never the less persisted with the relationship thinking that I would eventually get used to her mannerisms.

Unfortunately she said some things that actually hurt me at a emotional level. Strangely –  at some point during our relationship , it was if a switch in my head had been opened circuited –  I just couldn’ t get aroused by her at any level, no matter what .

Prior to this happening to me I would always get turned on when kissing and would always get a erection.

I have just recently started seeing a new girl and to my dismay, I found that I wasn’ t getting a erection and didn’ t really feel that turned on.

I do not have erectile dysfunction. I am quite capable of getting erections that are in no way inferior to erections during my 20’ s.

I now realise that I have I psychological problem that I am unable to reverse. Unfortunately I am unable to afford therapist at the moment. However, I really would like to undo some serious negative self talk/or whatever.
thanks

I wonder how ( especially if you say you were using your head ) you chose to enter a relationship with a foul-mouthed woman who sounds most unattractive --- was it entirely in the hope of enjoying the sex ? Or do you at some level like someone being unpleasant to you ? Then finding her directly personalyl hurtful, its entirely normal that you stopped being aroused by her and stopped getting an erection. Unless one has a strong masochistic streak and actively sexually enjoys being misused, that would end anyone's capacity for being aroused by that person. Now in the newer relationship, you may be experiencing a degree of carry-over of negative expectations from the previous and nasty relationship.
CBT would help --- check if you can find, through library or book-shop ( especally online ) some relevant self-help CBT oriented books.

1
Posted by: ripper | 2008/12/05

Thank you for the answer. Much appreciated. Yes you are correct –  I was hoping to enjoy the sex (after all, boys will be boys and girls want the same things as boys). As for the other stuff – my answer is a emphatic no.

Cybershrink wrote “ Now in the newer relationship, you may be experiencing a degree of carry-over of negative expectations from the previous and nasty relationship’ . This makes perfect sense to me. The real problem that I’ m facing now is to overcome this mental hangover.

I didn’ t have the emotional energy at the time to look for someone else. I don’ t know about other men but getting to know a woman is hard work. Therefore, the route of least resistance is always the favoured route ( for most humans and animals).

Thanks Cybershrink

Reply to ripper