Posted by: Desperate | 2013-01-29

Psychiatrist Fees

Why is it that psychiatrist fees are so insane? Most of them in Joburg are about R2000 for the first session and then about R750 for 20 minutes follow ups!
I desperately need help but cannot afford these fees - I think I have a non specified eating disorder in conjunction with anxiety and panic attacks. I don''t know which government hospitals in Johannesburg are any good (I have the impression they are all a nightmare!) and which have psychiatric units that can do an honest and realistic assessment as to whether I do have an eating disorder and then can refer me to the relevant eating disorder clinics... I have enquired about Tara''s eating disorder clinic but you need to be evaluated and assessed by a government psychiatric facility.. advice please...

Psychiatrists charges have gradually increased over the years, as have those of other medical specialists, many of whom have increased even more. There is a degree of control over this, too, keeping them broadly in line. Doctors costs have gone up a lot, too. And have you tried hiring a plumber or long-distance taxi driver, or electrician lately ?
Government institutions can be rather hit and miss, but the psych facilities are not bad in this area, so far as I hear.
Its likely that the Tara Eating Disorders clinic can get overwhelmed if they tried to admit people self-diagnosed, so maybe they require a prior expert assessment and proper diagnosis by a psychiatrist at a state institution ( and I doubt they'd refuse one from a private specialist psychiatrist ).

Posted by: Taya | 2013-02-01

Get your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist at Tara for evaluation. You can then phone them directly and make an appointment and find out procedures of opening a file for you. You will need to get assessed by the OPD clinic- there are some great psychiatrists there. It is a teaching hospital, so you might get a specialist in training, but they are well supervised. They will then refer you to the relevant areas- including psychologists or eating disorders unit. It is a good government hospital.

Reply to Taya
Posted by: Purple | 2013-01-30

Could a psychologist not help you using cognitive behaviour therapy?

Reply to Purple
Posted by: raffie | 2013-01-29

Try Sterkfontein or Wes Koppies Psychiatric hospitals. One is in Pretoria and the other in Krugersdorp.
I hope you get well.

Reply to raffie