Question
Posted by: Chanel | 2012/10/16

Psychiatrist

Hi there, I have been seeing a psychiatrist for a couple of months now. Why do I feel so dependent of him?

In my darkest hour I feel like I wish he was there to talk to? But I usually just don''t talk to anyone when I feel troubled unless I am screaming at people I usually just go into silent mode.

Ty :-)

Hi Chanel,
This is called Transference, and is such a common side-effect of counselling and seeing a shrink, that good shrinks should recognize it, and expect it, and discuss it with you - do raise this specific issue with your psychiatrist next time you see him.
Its part of what makes the relationship with your shrink very special, that this should be someone you can speak to without censoring yourself, being able to trust him/her, expecting the session to be confidential, and expecting the shrink will understand, care, and advise. That sort of thing doesn't turn up too often in most of our lives ! The situation is one vulmnerable to being exploited by an unscrupulous doc or patient, which is where ethical rules within the profession are designed to protect both parties.
The reason it's called Transference, is that part of what is happening is that one may transfer onto the therapist deep inner feelings we felt ( or wanted to feel ) for our parents and similar loved figures in our lives.
And when one has been struggling with many difficulties and feeling very alone, it's understandable that it is comforting to feel safe and to have available thoughtful advice of a wise person.
Now, it is a task of any good therapist to be aware of this, and to use it carefully. Its too easy for a shrink to become the source of all good advice - rather than helping you to find your own silutions and to discover your own potential for wisdom. The therapist must not encourage you to become dependent on him, but to become functional and independent.
As you've found, screaming, and silence, are not useful alternatives !
Do discuss this with your shrink ! It could be really useful !

1

Hi Chanel,