Question
Posted by: renee | 2012/08/24

psychiatris or psycologist?

hi there
I have come to the realisation that I do need counselling to assist me in dealing with my (2) brothers tragic passing, as well as issues from my childhood, which is now hampering me in adulthood. I''m not sure who to see. Please advise?

A psychologist is specially trained to give counselling or the more advanced method, psychotherapy. And they have the great advantage that they can't prescribe meds, whereas there's a risk that a psychiatrist, being a medical doctor allowed to write prescriptions, and often little trained in counselling skills, may give you a drug you don't need and not the counselling you do need. There are also properly registered psychological counsellors who can be very useful.

1