Question
Posted by: Nicolai | 2010/09/08

Psychiatric ward Tambo Memorial

Hi Dr

I have written about my mom from 2006, 08 and last year, who seemingly overnight started suffering paranoia, delusions, voices in her head - you name it - would take pages to write it all dowm . She had a few months in between of total lucidity. Unfortunately now that she is nearly 60, seems like all the disorders have come back and a few new ones two. As a last resort (3/3 psychiatrists in randburg could not give a definitive diagnosis - Meds ranging from risperdal, Etomine, Rivotril endless! none of which worked) It was suggested to book her into Tambo memorial as she has no medical aid, savings, pension - nothing. My salary of R6k covers my child and a roof over our head. She would be booked in as an emergency as she is not eating, sleeping or bathing at all

Is there anything I should be aware of with this clinic? Things I should ask or do. I feel quite lost at the moment and don''t quite know where else to look for help.

Many thanks for all you do for those that really need it

Sounds like it would indeed be a good idea for her to be admitted, for care and often a period of observation during such an admission makes it easier to clarify what is going on. There could be various psychological and / or physical problems going on - they could do some blood and other tests to check, and observe the effects of various treatments. It would be likely to safeguard her health, get several fresh opinions as to the nature of the problem and how to deal with it, and perhaps find the best way to help her

3
Posted by: Right | 2010/09/09

Hi , not sure of the clinic itself , but it is a good idea to get her there. She will be in a contained environment and can have treatment that she deserves. My sister went to a goverment clinic once in cape town and the treatment and tests done were excellent.

Reply to Right

Those are a lot of drugs Rivotrol alone is a very powerful pill. It makes a person sleepy. And mostly people who have brain tumors and has seizures are prescribed to take that drug. You have to see a neurosurgeon, I''m a bit concerned as your mom is taking alot of drugs for someone her age. Rather take her to have a blood test for diabetes, insulin, etc if all is well with the result, then make an appointment with a neurosurgeon.

Kind regards.