Question
Posted by: Micha McKerr | 2012/11/13

Psychiatric clinics in Johannesburg CAUSE mental illness

After being diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and referred to Tara for a 6 week programme, I have literally been driven mad trying to a) be admitted b) receive any supporting documentation and c) trying to get a straight answer so that I can plan my life (I am a single mom). The red tape is strangling me. What are my other options (not on medical aid).... help ...

Sorry to hear about this. Many otherwise good insitutions have strangling red tape and procedures that make it far more difficult for patients and their families, to cope with the procedures entailed in getting help, than most of the staff are even aware of.
If one can't afford private care ( I can't, either ) one has to rely on public facilities. Tara is a major facility of the Wits Medical School, which should be the best place to get the sort of expertise you need. Borderline Personality Disorder isnt easy to help with, or to get expert help for, and its best to persist in trying to get what can be available through a facility like that, than to give up. If one went to a different public facility, they would probably refer you to Tara, which wouldn't speed things up. Keep trying, you're surely worth it

39
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/06/03

If one has mental issues like bipolar, depression, scitzo etc One of the best quick help method is to go for ECT therapy. The medical aid will cover 15 treatments out of hospital. It is very costly but effective. My son is on his 8 treatment and he has forgotten he was ill. The 21 days inhospital is a waste of resources and money. Go read up on it and consider this treatment. Try Rand Hospital in Hillbrow, Bruce street (Netcare). What a difference it makes.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/04/30

Hi need help my 16year old brother is very rude , violent and always angry, I need someone to help me out I don't know who to call , me and my sisters can't even watch Tv ,he always has a problem and tells us to put down the tv ,he has no respect at all and my parents just ignore this ,Please can someone help urgently , contact me on shaistap50@gmail.com

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/03/12

Hi. I don't have medical aid but I think I need some help . Do you know of any psychiatric clinics in johannesburg(the east rand) that's affordable or government?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/03/10

My brother is a drug addict. I have gotten him to a rehab 9 weeks ago. Things have just gone from bad to worst. His lost his memory, lives in a completely different world. His become agressive and I was informed that this drug has damaged part of his brain and they cannot control or keep him there anymore. I need to get him to a mental institution. I don't have finance to support this. Where can I go for urgent help? They mention that his a danger to himself and to others. Please can someone assist me?

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Chiquita | 2016/04/06

Weskoppies Psychiatric Hospital - Gov.

Posted by: Suzatte | 2016/02/29

I have an 11yr old boy who has Adhd..He lost his dad a year ago and since then he has developed alot of anger at school he is in fights constantly..how can I get him help..cause school counseling no longer works.

Reply to Suzatte | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Chiquita | 2016/04/06

Weskoppies in Pretoria has a Child/Parent facility

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/02/17

Medical aid only covers a few weeks in private care. Not even medical aid will help you all the way.

Posted by: Charmaine | 2016/02/07

Diagnosed with bipolar 1. I'm in he'll. Need help. Need to be hospitalized. Anxiety to much on a severe rollercoaster. Want off. Can't do this anymore. Pls!!!

Reply to Charmaine | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Basil Compassionate Hearts Meetup | 2016/03/04

I dated a bipolar woman. She was extremely sharp and capable on meds and madly distorted off them...two extremes. She had to trial 4 different meds before she found the right one and quantity that worked for her. It was like permanent PMS until then but once she was settled she was the most effective manager of her own business and partner to me and because of that I know there is a place for meds with this condition. The state hospitals don't have all the meds and you might need to get sponsorship or medical aid for the correct ones at a private clinic but the state has a responsibility to provide you with the help you need if private care is out of reach. Chances are you have a soft and sensitive and caring side that battles to reconcile with a nasty and at times hard world around you. Be on guard for abuse and have a good friend you trust help you find help. Try Basil at Compassionate Hearts Meetup to assist you with meeting others who have overcome what you're battling with and to get the direction you need. Much love.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/10

My son went to Joburg Gen and at the time a young lady , Dr Yolanda Velazario (doesnt seem South African though) was helping out , She was brilliant . Not sure where she is now but she's great with bipolar and scitzo .

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/11/23

I have a Bipolar Dad. He is 63 and needs to be socially stimulated. We are looking for a place in Johannesburg which is a non-profit OR Government based Instititution in which to place him in. He is on pension and if this institiution accepts the grants than it would also be fine. As we cannot afford the private rates. Can you perhaps advise on institutions?

Reply to Anonymous | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Chiquita | 2016/04/06

My son is fortunate enough to have a Social Worker who assists him with finding Care Facilities. There is one called Uncle Ben's Den. They take R1000.00 a month. At this place there is an old age facility as well.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/12/06

Have you manage to sort out your dad as I have a brother that needs help

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/11/15

just so you know. tara is not going to help you. rather get off that list. and get a prescription for a mood stabalizer, and buy a generic.

Posted by: Charlene | 2015/09/09

Hello, I need urgent help. ?I need help urgently! Need the correct email for Tara????   Things have not been going well!  In fact Doctor Arthur will not renew my prescription for 6 months until I get help and I have been on certain pills for 19 years for panic attacks, anxiety and depression!  So it ends 15 September, the prescription for my pills.   I cannot wait 6 to 8 months to see a psychiatrist in this town as it seems to be here in East London!   A month ago I had to move from my granny flat after well over 4 years as owners are selling.  I moved a road away after looking for weeks and realised I had not looked properly when moving here and gave notice on Saturday, 1 August, the day I moved in.   Moving is very very stressful!  So now I have moved twice in 1 month!   Then, also while my son was on a 2 month holiday I had my first accident ever in 47 years!  I was looking down on the floor picking up papers going down a steep hill, not looking through the window and I hit a parked car really hard.  I broke the chassis, suspension etc....all happening late June and I have had no transport since then and been taking taxis!!!!!  Damage is R12 grand, being fixed still in Gonubie!   I refuse to go to CMH, Cecilia Makawane, as I went once years ago with my Dad and seeing all the shackled prisoners there etc gave me instant panic attacks plus they did not even have generics of the pills I am on! I also do not want to go to Cecilia Makawane in township as its dirty, horrible there and I need to type to pay rent monthly.  My new rent is R500 more than last rent per month!   My stepmom, who hates me, has kept my Dad away from me for over 2 months now which has been really depressing and sad!   Is there anybody I could start seeing at Tara maybe, take a bus from East London for counselling for panic attacks, most depression and suicidal thoughts I have had since December etc?????  I will pay them.....   I just need to tell Dr Arthur, my GP that I am getting treatment and counselling/help etc so he can extend my repeat prescriptions without me having to go to a hospital and being able to pay new rent starting end of month please!!!!!!   Must GP send a referral letter and to what email at Tara? Warm regards, Charlene Wild Cell:  082 687 4640

Reply to Charlene
Posted by: Charlene | 2015/09/09

Reply to Charlene | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/11/05

the Helen Joseph Hospital looks like a bit of a nightmare when you walk in, but the psychology unit on the 3rd floor is actually very good. They'll need to open up a file for you, normally they'll then have to make an appointment which could take a while. But if you speak the ladies at the reception desk and explain the urgency, they are incredibly helpful and really helped me when I was also desperate.

Posted by: Jacquline Cron | 2015/08/27

Hey Brock, I found a blank fillable "My Life Planning Workbook" here:my life planning workbook.

Reply to Jacquline Cron
Posted by: BROCK COSTON | 2015/08/26

Great Article. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know where I can find a blank "My Life Planning Workbook" to fill out?

Reply to BROCK COSTON
Posted by: Debbie | 2015/07/24

My brother is 49 and has struggled all his life with holding down a job, anger issues, threatening suicide, alcohol binges, reckless spending of money and more. He is unemployed and my sister and myself are supporting him, which I cannot do anymore. He needs therapy to deal with past issues and a lifetime of bad choices. I feel so helpless and depressed about the situation. Does anyone have any advice for me? I would really appreciate any help at all.

Reply to Debbie
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/05/11

My niece was diagnosed with ADD at a very early age (5 - 6 years old?) She was treated with Ritalin, not for very long though and stopped and has never taken anything again. She is now a married, thirty year old woman who is unable to hold onto a job. She has over the years put on a large amount of weight and would be considered obese if her BMI were to be done. Being very close to my mother, she has expressed that her husband of 3 years is fast getting impatient with her because she cannot keep a job, that she is over weight and they haven't had physical relations for over a year now. We as a family have always tried to help her by doing everything for her which, till recently has been pointed out to me, is not helping her at all. How do I go about getting her to go see a Physiologist to be re-diagnosed and start taking medication. She is unfortunately not on her husbands medical aid, so I am hoping that she can get help through Tara. I look forward some opinions.

Posted by: shawn | 2015/01/11

Hi my I have a huge problem my mom is 50 years old and she has anorexia norvoa its so bad she weighs 31.4 kg she is 1.6m tall and I am scared she will die very soon if she doesn't get help soon I am only 26 and I support my mom and my little sister since my dad passed 5 years ago, I can't afford private medical care for my mom and public hospitals are useless and I'm scared if I book her into a public hospitals spychiatric department then we can't get her out again I mean my mom is not crazy she is just in loads of pain due to my dads suicide. Tara is taking for ever to get back to us and I fear we running out of time pls can someone give me some advice?

Reply to shawn
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/01/05

Hi All... I have been to Tara and spent 3 months there and anybody needing help on how to manage any mental illness; I would advise you to go there... Yes unfortunately there is a waiting list a mile long but I promise you it is worth it... If you go in there with the intention of getting better u are on the right track, but please do not o in expecting a miracle cure, cause you will not get that... You will get very caring and patient staff and be surrounded by people who understand and you will be taught skills to deal with stress... Well that was my experience in ward 4-5 anyway... May God bless you all...

Reply to Anonymous | 3 comments (hide)
Posted by: sandra | 2016/02/19

It is onderful news to hear your story. My brother, 40 years old needs to get in at Tara but theres so many stories. We dont know what to fo anymore. Now that theres a bed available they wanted a referral letter from his psychiatrist. This was sent but according to Tara it was not correct. We are in dire straits.

Posted by: Sandra | 2015/11/24

Hi there, I was referred to Tara a couple of years ago to do the 21 Day Life Change Program but couldn't go cause my boss threatened to fire me if I took anymore time off... Things are not getting better and I've decided to arrange my life around the 21 days and just go and do it. Do you have info on the forms that need to be completed and process for booking in? PS. Are you still feeling the benefits of the program or were they short lived?

Posted by: nthabiseng | 2015/01/08

I need help for my brother

Posted by: Sarah | 2014/10/01

My son has been diagnosed bipolar he get worse and go round smashing peoples cars ,how can I contact Tarah is it through a referal?

Reply to Sarah | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Lois | 2014/10/27

Hi Sarah Please contact these people - I hope one of them can help you - SABDA (Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorders alliance) http://www.supportsabda.co.za/ 011 3260661 Head Office & Joburg Central Office EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: FUNDISWA SHABANGU SERVICES MANAGER: NAKU MASUKU 42 Berea Rd, Bertrams, Johannesburg Tel: 011 614 9890 admin@witsmhs.co.za Pray God richest blessings on you xo

Posted by: Sarah | 2014/10/01

Reply to Sarah
Posted by: Michelle | 2014/09/21

My brother has this problem doc said he must go to johburg jen for help will they be able to help or am I waising my time he is really bad after my father died its worst please help

Reply to Michelle
Posted by: JAN SEPHIRI | 2014/06/25

I am 24 year old teen,who lives in small town called Virginia in the Free State.I currently found that i am diagnosed by chronic disorder called schizophrenia through my own research,please i need help this thing is destroying my mind and i cant think straight,please any one who can help me by means of a treatment or someone who have anything to help please i am young i want a good and healthy life style like any other teens at my age,please.my numbers are 0732314306 please i need your help!

Reply to JAN SEPHIRI | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/04/30

Your last teen year ends at 19, at 24 you are an adult?

Posted by: Graeme | 2014/10/31

hi Im a south african living in sweden. my email is graperry@gmail.com I want to help, let me know you have revived this and we will go from there.

Posted by: natalie | 2014/03/27

Hi there, I know exactly how you feel! I also have been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and got diagnosed at Joburg Gen hospital. I attended psychiatric treatment there for about 8 months and was then referred to Tara for the 8 week programme, as luck would have it, I got offered a job 3 days before I was meant to start at Tara and I chose the job over treatment (in hindsight, it was a HUGE mistake). I once phoned Tara (before being referred by joburg gen) when I was having a terrible suicidal episode, the nurse refused to put me through to a psychiatrist and said that there are procedures to follow before being in contact with a psychiatrist and I need to follow procedure. I went absolutely ballistic on the phone and started crying and threatening suicide if she didnt put me through, that made her sit up and take notice and she then directed me straight to a psychiatrist who immediately agreed to see me as an out patient. So dont take no for an answer and make a scene if you have to because they actually do seem to care. Its a bit of brattish behaviour but frankly, thats the only way these people notice you. BPD people really need the emotional support and they fail to do much about it unless you go ape shit. I would very much like to talk to you and find out what progress you have made. Maybe we can help eachother and advise eachother? If you are interested you can email me on natalieburgess26@gmail.com Take care.xx

Reply to natalie | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: sandra | 2016/02/19

Hi Natalie, Can you please assist me and my mother with a number or anything that might help. My brother needs to be institutionalised. My number is 0820793884 of you can whatsapp me perhaps.

Posted by: Marc | 2013/09/25

I have to agree with the original comments on Tara. I was referred to TARA where I was to enrol in one of their 6 week programs. I was contacted 4 weeks after a referral was sent to TARA by my doctor, and was told that I would have to put my life, family and job on hold to partake in their program... a person who has not inherited millions is simply not able to do this. They firstly took what seemed like forever to get in touch with me, even after several calls made by me to TARA, and then their program was impossible to attend without losing my job and having to literally start all over again from scratch. Totally pointless!

Reply to Marc
Posted by: Anna | 2012/11/28

My brother was referred to Tara after he had a bipolar relapse. Tara said he was unsuitable for their ward and sent him home. Since then he has had multiple overdose attempts.
Every time we take him to Bara and they stabilise and discharge him.

How can we get him help? He is not on a medical aid and we can''t afford private rates.

Reply to Anna | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/04/08

Hi Anna - have you tried getting help through SABDA (Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorders alliance)? Supporthttp://www.supportsabda.co.za/ 011 3260661 Praying for a miracle and God's Blessings to be poured out on you and your brother!