Question
Posted by: Nicolai | 2010/09/28

Psychiatric assistance

Hi Doc,
My mom was booked into Tambo Memorial in Boksburg three weeks ago (not to sure if you recall my post about what looked like schizophrenic episodes). She still has not been seen to, in fact they now want to move her to Natalspruit where there is a psychiatrist. Problem is, she is more alert and lucid now and is begging me to take her home - begging! Saying that she knows she will get badly hurt at Natalspruit (Ive heard terrible stories). But she needs to get a diagnosis and have the right meds - I cant go through this a fourth time.

I want to get her into TARA but they need a government psychiatrists report to do that.

What do I do Doc? I''m so confused - what is the right thing to do?

It makes no sense, of course, for them to say they can't send her from one state hospital to anopther without a government-employed psychiatrist's report - if they can't provide an assessment by such a psychiatrist.
I also hear sinister stories about how some patients may be treated at some institutions - mention this to the doctors responsible for her now. Ask them if they can't arrange for a psychiarist to visit her in the Tambo hospital to assess her there and advise on treatment ; and if it is unavoidable for her to go to Natalspruit, ask them to promise both to ask the doctor to whom they transfer her to make sure she is unharmed, and to check up on her progress so as to reassure themselves and you, that she is being properly cared for.
And try callling the doctors at Tara to see if a transfer can be arranged for an initial assessment. Maybe it can be agreed for her to go therte for, say, a week for assessment, and returned to Tambo if she needs more treatment while in hospital, once the diagnosis and treatment have been established at Tara - and if she has improved as you say, she may well then be able rather to go home on treatment.
Thinking about why these episodes of crazt behaviour are, well, episodic, one possibility would be that while at home she is drinking and/or taking other street drugs or exposed to some other toxin, affecting her in this way, and when in hospital when this is not possible for her, she improves. Is that a possibility that should be considered ?

2