Question
Posted by: Safety Girl | 2010/01/20

Psyched out

I have a problem. Its a bit of a long story so please bear with me

My husband had a work function on friday night that we both had to attend as he is one of the managers.

At this function a man struck up a conversation with me about what i do for a living and i told him i am in Admin, but i have lots of safety training and i am currently getting a degree in safety management.

On saturday morning my husband gets an email and it turns out the man i was talking to is the manager in charge of safety for my husbands company. The email asks if i can come in for a meeting on Tuesday (Yesterday).

So i went. He asked me to implement a whole new safety system. (I have been trained to audit and implement the system he wants, as well as doing a modern Safety management diploma, which i passed with 92% - the highest in my class).

I went home and put the proposal together. When my husband got home i showed it to him to ask his oppinion (it should take about 3 months to complete).

Ok this is where the problem started. I have never implemented a system like this before. So naturally i am nervous. But my husband has totally psyched me out. I swear to god every 20 minutes last night he said " can you do this?"  .. " are you sure you can do this?" .. " if you tell them you can and you cant your going to get into big trouble" . . " dont you think 3 months is excessive?"  Please note he has NO training at all in safety.

I was fine until my husband started.

So now i am freaking out. Panicking that maybe i have bitten off more than i can chew. I have 9 certificates and diplomas in various auditing and safety systems. I have done courses on risk assessments and hazard identification and incident and accident investigations. I have audited branches of my own company half a dozen times, as part of an audit team or as the audit team leader. And yet i am filled with doubt.

Advice please? Some one?

Relax, I'm absolutely sure you are safe to go ahead. He's probably nervous, not knowing your field at all, that somehow you might mess up and disturb his career prospects.
Don't allow his doubts to infect you - you are close to being over-qualified, and surely could do exactly what is needed. If necessary, see a counsellor to regain control of your nerves ( eg by CBT ) and go ahead with the challenge - before long it should be obvious to all that you can manage it, and you will be enjoying it, too.
If you don't take up this chance, you will long regret it.

3
Posted by: Phil | 2010/01/20

1. Every qualified person has to start somewhere/first time. That is what you have studied for.

2. You won' t be alone, remember there will be other qualified/knowledgable people that needs to implement some of this stuff.

3. Now relax.

4. Don' t be 2 hard on him, he is also nervous.

Reply to Phil
Posted by: ...... | 2010/01/20

The fact that the manager asked you means they believe in you and that you can do it so go for it and really enjoy it and dont stress or worry about it, you will NOT get into " trouble"  if it isnt perfect, your husband sounds like an unsupportive prick.

Reply to ......