Question
Posted by: J.P. | 2012/10/18

Psych drug effects (Pt. 2)

YES! There was " trembling and shakes"  as a side effect of Promethazine. She was taking two 2mg [though not sure if it''s ''2mg'' - doc''s writing] pills of it.

She''d been complaining of ''empty-headedness'' slightly prior to the drug change  which she still is complaining about, and it was tough to tell if that was an additional effect or not. I suspected a dementia-like condition for the ''empty-headedness''. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for the initial info. Nice to talk of a shrink that actually shares information...

Yes, you'd think doctors took special classes in bad hand-writing, wouldn't you ! I think its more from all those years in medical school, taking notes from hundreds of lectures.
Could the dose be 12.5 mg perhaps ? Dementia ( or some other form of brain damage ) is of course a possibility depending on one's age, but I haven't come across a complaint of "empty-headedness" from someone with any form of dementia. But it depends on exactly what she meant by "empty-headed".
really, though, in any complex clinical situation, one needs a careful full psych assessment by a good local psuychiatrist ( in private practice or maybe at a medical school ) to clarify the diagnosis, as one can't select a suitable treatment without being sure of the diagnosis, and that needs to include a careful physical examination, maybe other tests, and the chance to hear exactly how the person themselves describes the symptoms.

1