Question
Posted by: Anne | 2011-02-07

Prudent Diet

Please could someone explain to me what a prudent diet is. I was advised by my Doctor to follow it because of health issues and don''t have a clue.

Thank you,
Anne

Dear Anne
Basically a prudent diet is low in fats and high in high-fibre grains, cereals and legumes, as well as protective nutrients derived from fruit and vegetables. Basically the use of a low-fat, low-cholesterol, high-fibre diet that is also rich in protective nutrients (plenty of fruit, vegetables and legumes), which contains some healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids, will protect against heart disease and help to lower cholesterol. Click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section. If you require a specific prudent, cholesterol-lowering diet to be worked out for you, then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-02-08

Dear Anne