Question
Posted by: Coco G | 2011-02-05

Prozac and weight loss

Does Prozac normally make people lose weight or gain weight? I have been depressed and got a prescription for Prozac. I haven't taken it yet, however, i feel like i have a huge appetite when i feel sad, and when i'm happy i have a tiny appetite. Is there a good chance Prozac will help me lessen my appetite? I am not overweight, however i suffer from Bulimia as well.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Coco G,
When Prozac (Fluoxetine) was first available on the market in the early 90s, it was believed that it assisted in weight loss. Many people were taking it to try and lose weight. What is actually does do it help inhibit impulsive behaviour (like bingeing). More recenlt, research has revealed Fluoxetoine to actually be weight neutral. In other words, Prozac will neither decrease or increase your appetite. However some, antidepressant might increase appretite. Being depressed, it is very common to experience a loss of appetite, so what has happened to you is quite normal. Try to be conscious to eat regularkly and in a healthy way. The psychiatrist (CyberShrink) will be able to possible give you further advise on this matter.
Regards,
Graham

3
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2011-02-24

Hi Coco G,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert
Posted by: Mo | 2011-02-15

The Prozac will help with the bulimia, but I gained a LOT of weight with Prozac... Can not say you will lose weight, or gain weight as my doc told me that everyone is different so the effects vary... I had an appitite the whole time and now sit with all 20kg back again (3mnths later) after losing it last year...

Reply to Mo
Posted by: Me | 2011-02-07

I also suffered from bulimia. The Prozac will help with the bulimia. I felt less ancious on prozac and it lessened my appetite.

Reply to Me