Question
Posted by: Buhle | 2011/09/14

Provita Vs Rice cakes

Hi Everyone ,

i am 33 years of age and a mother of three i am currently breast feeding my 5 month old baby . i weigh 76 kg and iam 1.53m in height i am desperately tring to loose weight ,can anyone tell me which is more preferably for snacking between provitas and rice cakes and how often and how many can one consume in a day.
Your imputs will be greatly appreciated

Dear Buhle
Congratulations on the birth of your 3rd baby. I am so glad to hear that you are breastfeeding your child because this is the greatest gift a mother can give her baby, which will protect him/her from a variety of illnesses and conditions, including future obesity. Provitas are preferable to rice cakes because Provitas have a low-glycaemic index(GI, so if you eat them with fat-free cottage cheese they should keep you feeling satisfied for longer. Provitas and rice cakes have similar energy contents of 117 kJ and 147 kJ, respectively. Because rice cakes have a high-GI they will not keep your blood sugar steady and tend to make you feel hungry sooner than the Provitas. In general, you can have 1-2 Provitas as a snack 3 times a day. Because you have gained weight during your pregnancy (your present BMI = 32.5, so it would be a good idea to lose some weight), try using a balanced low-fat diet click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (take baby for a brisk walk very day) for at least 30 minutes a day to lose weight. Please add 1-2 cups of low-fat milk, yoghurt or maas to this slimming diet to ensure that you and baby obtain the 1500 mg of calcium a day that you need.

4
Posted by: Buhle | 2011/09/15

Hi Diet Doc and Lee,

Thank you so very much to you both for your most valued imputs , Actually i have joined the gym and i have lost close to 12kgs todate i am so motivated and i do not want to loose the spirit hence im trying all possible to mantain this weight and possible reach my goal weight of 70 kg.

Thank you so much once again.im glad that provitas are low GI anyway rice cakes tastes like shoe leather...lol.

Reply to Buhle | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Jonathan | 2016/07/20

The Rice cakes from Vital taste really good actually

Posted by: Lee | 2011/09/15

Hi Buhle

congrats on your baby. Breastfeeding as you probably know will help in weightloss so keep this up for perhaps a year if you can. It is also good for the baby. Both Provita and RiceCakes are ok but each has to be eaten in moderatioin. If you find that they dont fill youperhaps you should consider what you eat them with. Make a tuna salad with very little mayo or try a fat free salad dressing to make tuna salad with. Fat-free cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes. Smoked chicken. Protein like these I''ve suggested will go a long way to filling you up than just the biscuits alone. Even low fat, sugar and salt free peanut butter now and then on Provita or rice cakes tastes good. Ensure that you drink enough liquids too.

Reply to Lee

Dear Buhle