Question
Posted by: Tagsheen Petersen | 2009-11-16

Provera

I' m 13 weeks pregnant , last friday i was bleeding and my gynea prescribed Provera to stop the bleeding. I decided to read up about these pills and it says that it should not be taken during pregnancy and that it causes birth defects. I' m so confused because why would the gynea prescribe something that will harm my baby ? Should i stop using the meds , i' m freaked out?

Provera isn't really harmful in a practical sense, but I am not sure that it would help the bleeding. This is a threatened abortion and the things to do would be to rest and avoid intercourse.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2009-11-19

Posted by: J | 2009-11-16

Hi. I wouldn' t worry. I went throught the same thing and was given some meds that also said not for preggies women. I am sure your doc knows best, like mine did. Most meds will say not for preggies women, but used correctly under docs supervision is fine.

Reply to J