Question
Posted by: Barry | 2008/07/30

Proudly Gay

If you are proudly gay why did you not confront the taxi driver cocerning his abusive attitude?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Barry, welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

Spot-on for your question. There are times when you duck low and shut up for your own survival. Sadly, survival supersedes pride. And that's my point in the article you refer to, that sometimes its literally safer to remain quiet.

3
Posted by: Brad | 2008/07/31

Well said expert, I can relate - I belong to an athletics team and our coach is anti-gay, it ISN' T a space where I can speak up no matter how strongly I feel about the garbage he speaks? There are times and places when you can speak up and there are, sadly I agree, places and situations where you keep quiet. Which I thought came out very well in the Expert' s article.

Reply to Brad
Posted by: anon | 2008/07/30

Or taking part in charity events like Apache Boy suggests..

Reply to anon
Posted by: Jonathan | 2008/07/30

I don' t think the Expert (or anyone else) needs to waste their time trying to educate one individual as to the negative impact of prejudice. It' s better to fight the BIG battles (i.e. his visit to Media24' s headquarters).

:)

Reply to Jonathan