Posted by: Heidi | 2009-04-16

Protexin versus Reuteri

Although PROTEXIN soluble is sold ' for animal use only'  I was told by the manufacturers chemist that it was totally OK for humans. I' ve had no negative effects, but have now been reading an advertisement for REUTERI probiotic, in which it is claimed that ' L.reuteri is one of only a few probiotic species in commercial use that belongs to the indigenous microflora of humans' .
Does this mean I should switch to R.for best results? Thank you!

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Heidi
In the scientific literature on Lactobacillus reuteri, many strains of bacteria were isolated, i.e. chicken reuteri strain, mouse strain, pig strain etc. It was shown that whilst a reuteri strain of animal origin did no harm in humans, the human strain isolated (which is as you rightly say, indigenous to humans) showed the best clinical effect when tested in humans.
So yes, I would rather be safe and take a product of known origin; one that has been thoroughly tested and known to be safe.
By the way, the opposite is also true, we even gave a race horse with diarrhoea Reuteri (human origin)and he was cured!!
Reuteri of interest is known as the universal lactobacillus (it is autochthonous – hope I got that spelling right – this means it has been found in all species tested to date)