Question
Posted by: ELA | 2012-08-13

Proteins and Carbs

Hi there.

Some said to me the other day that our bodies use different methods to digest proteins and carbs and so when we eat them together, they arent digested correctly.

She has lost quite a bit of weight by no longer eating carbs and proteins together in a meal.

Is this correct and true?

Thank

Dear Ela
The theory that we should not 'mix' our foods pops up regularly, but it is not based on scientific proof. Human beings are omnivores which means we can eat proteins, carbs and fats and our digestive tract is designed to digest all 3 of these macronutrients at the same time. In addition all foods except oils, sugar, and lard, contain a mixture of the 3 macronutrients, so it is practically impossible to separate them in a given meal. I believe that your friend has lost weight because she is giving attention to what she is eating and not because she is eating mainly protein at one meal and mainly carbs at another. To lose weight you need to reduce your energy intake and increase your energy output.

2
Posted by: BABE MASUGE | 2012-08-18

Hi there,

giving school children 2 X soya,1 X pilchards,1 X dry beans,1 X split peas served with either mielie mielie/rice/pasta per week X 4weeks a month X all school days of a year (per annum) is it nutritious.

Thanx...

Reply to BABE MASUGE
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-08-14

Dear Ela