Question
Posted by: Nelie van Staden | 2010/02/07

PROTEINS

Hi ,
My physician has placed me on a short term diet whereby I' m on y allowed ONE protein per day. I know the normal..cheese , meat etc. But what about Beans and Nuts, do they contain proteins in the same amounts as the others ??

Dear Nelie
Legumes (dry canned or cooked beans, peas, lentils or soy products) are an excellent source of plant protein which is more than adequate for adults. So you can certainly use legumes as your one serving of protein a day. Nuts also contain excellent amounts of plant protein, but they have a very high fat and energy content, so eating nuts as your source of protein could cause weight gain. For example dried almonds contain 2451 kJ, 20,4 g protein and 52.5 g of fat per 100g, whereas if we take canned baked beans they contain 388 kJ, 4.8 g of protein and only 0,5 g of fat per 100g. Cooked lentils contain 487 kJ, 28.1 g of protein and 0,4 g of fat per 100g. Eat the nuts in small portions to prevent weight gain.

1

Dear Nelie