Question
Posted by: Maria | 2012/09/10

Protein to start the day

Hi doc,

I know a lady who did the gastric bypass and lost 55kg over the last 18 months. She looks unreal. She told me her dietitian told her to start the day with protein to kick start her metabolism. What is the maximum eggs one should take per day? I did my last " cheating"  yesterday and weighed this morning. How long before yesterdays cheat is gonna show on the scale? I must admit, i overdid it a bit.

Thanks.

Maria

Dear Maria
Bariatric surgery can help patients to lose unbelievable amounts of fat. It is also necessary for such individuals to eat a very specific diet after their operations and for the rest of their lives because their normal digestive processes, esp absorption of nutrients has been altered by the op. Bariatric patients need to eat more protein than patients who have not had their absorption changed, and they also need to use vitamin and mineral supplements for the rest of their lives. In view of the DietDoc Topic I wrote for this week about eggs, individuals who have not had gastric bypass surgery should stick to 4 eggs per week. Other high protein foods which you can use for breakfast are: fat-free milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese, tofu or cooked dry beans, peas, lentils or soya.
Cheating for one day need not derail your weightloss programme because weightloss is achieved by reducing your average energy intake over weeks and months. Just stick to your diet and do your normal exercise without trying to 'starve' to make up for a cheat.

1

Dear Maria