Question
Posted by: Supernova | 2011/01/13

Protein Supplement

Hi Diet Doc
I am a 28 yr old female weighing 60kg. I am vegetarian, iron fluctuates but normally fine. Low blood pressure always but no side effects.
I have started a fitness programme recently to lose 5kg. I am worried about my protein intake, I might not eat enough.
Is it advisable to take a protein shake for women?
or are there other supplements?
Thank You!

Dear Supernova
I don't know what types of protein you consume as a vegetarian. If you still eat eggs and dairy products (milk, yoghurt, cheese) then there should not be a problem with your protein intake provided you have 3 servings of dairy every day and an egg every second day. If you are a strict vegetarian who does not eat eggs or dairy products, then it may be a good idea to eat at least 2 portions of legumes (dry, canned lentils, beans, peas or soya) daily to ensure that you are obtaining sufficient protein in your diet. Protein shakes are not really necessary unless you are trying to build muscle tissue (i.e. body building) and it is usually better to obtain your protein for foods.
Good luck with the fitness programme

1

Dear Supernova
Good luck with the fitness programme