Question
Posted by: Jojo | 2009-09-02

Protein shakes-when to take?

I do about 40-50 minutes of cardio 5 times a week in the morning then 30-40 mins weight training 3-4 times a week - but am still not losing much weight.
My diet is pretty good (according to dietician) and i' ve now started taking CLA tablets to help but was wondeirng about protein shakes?
What good are they and when should i take them?
And how do i know if it' s high protein/low carb (per 100g)?
Or should i rather go for Whey protein? How do i use this?

Forgive me, i' m still new to sports nurtition scene. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thank-you!!!!!!

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Jojo

Welcome to the industry – it is great to be active!
If you are not losing weight your diet is still too high in calories which could even mean that you are dishing larger portions than what you dietician advised you or maybe the calories are just too high for your energy outset! Alternatively you could check with her if she thinks you are Insulin Resistant – as that is a hormonal misbalance that prevents people for losing weight even though the eat correctly and exercise.

Protein shakes are best taken within 45 minutes of completing your training as it counts as liquid food to ensure you hit the window period of refueling and rebuilding the body. Whey is a fast absorbing protein and therefore best taken after training while protein casseinate is a slow release protein and therefore taken as the last meal, at night. Proteins shakes are expensive food and a luxury for people that need to include huge amounts of it into their diet – your regime will only necessitate one serving of about 25g protein for a smaller frame and about 40g protein for a larger frame. Whey protein shakes usually have virtually no carbs added and is low in fat. Meal replacements shakes can have about half or the same amount of carbs as the protein content. Only mass gaining products will contain higher amounts of carbs.

Please go and view the archive of this site – you will be pleasantly surprised with loads of info to help you to understand training supplementation.

Good luck and take care!
Vanessa