Posted by: Desire'' | 2012-11-16

Protein shakes

Hi. I was wondering if you can help me. I wanted to know what protein shake is best after exercise when trying to lose weight. I have USN Diet Fuel, which is a Meal Replacement, but wanted to know wheter I can use this after exercise or not?

Dear Desire
The general rule that one can use to judge meal replacement shakes is that one serving (with or without added fat-free milk) should not provide more than 1/3 of the daily energy requirement of the individual, i.e. 2800 kJ for people who are not slimming and 2100 kJ for a woman who is trying to slim. This is if you are going to use the shake to replace the meal following your exercise session. If you are going to use the USN Diet Fuel as a post-exercise snack and are still going to have a meal later on, then the post-exercise snack should not provide more than 1050 kJ (250 kcal). You will have to see if a small portion of the USN Diet Fuel will meet this requirement. Also keep in mind that after exercise your body needs carbohydrates to help replenish glycogen stores in the muscles and liver.