Question
Posted by: Annemarie | 2011/07/22

Protein shakes

Hi doc

Me again......the insulen resistant one....remember me?

Want to know how beneficial is it for weightloss to add a protein shake in your diet, incorporated with Low gi carbs. If i atempt something like this, must i cut down on other proteins?

Ive read in the fitness magazine about adding whey protein in your diet to help for lean mucle mass.

Kind Regards
Annemarie

Dear Annemarie
Yes, I do remember you and hope that you are progressing with your low-GI diet. Building lean muscle mass entails increasing protein intake to approx. 1 g of protein per kg body weight AND doing exercises that specifically promote muscle development. So if you are doing this type of exercise and are not already eating 6 portions of protein a day (3 servings of low-fat or fat-free milk/yoghurt/cottage cheese plus 2-3 other servings of protein-rich foods like lean meat, fish or eggs or plant protein sources like legumes which are usually emphasised in a low-Gi diet) then it may help to take an additional protein supplement like a whey protein shake. Whey protein shakes are not superior to standard protein foods when it comes to amino acid composition, so most people who are not top athletes don't really need to take additional protein. It's up to you. If you do use a protein shake in your diet then you should cut out one of the other protein servings, but not the dairy servings because you still need the calcium supplied by the milk/yoghurt/cottage cheese. In other words, when you have that protein shake you can cut out your serving of meat, fish or eggs for the day.

3
Posted by: Rosemary | 2011/08/01

My son is 16 years old and slightly overweight. He goes to gym 3 - 5 times a week and is losing slowly. He now wants to take Diet fuel as an aid.

Your response would be appreciated as I think he is miles to young to be thinking of suplements and diets.

Thanks a mil

Reply to Rosemary
Posted by: Mark | 2011/07/28

Erm, NO NO NO sorry. You will NEVER build muscle on 1g/kg of body weight. I''ve trained numerous, clients men and women and in all my years its never happened. Ask any real PT or the like and they will def agree !!!
Try for a minimum of 1.7g/kg LEAN body mass

My pleasure

Reply to Mark

Dear Annemarie