Question
Posted by: Gardiol van de Venter | 2010-03-04

Protein shakes

My 16 year old son wants to take protein shakes to build muscle for rugby - is it healthy? or better to eat more eggs, meat, etc? What type of product?

I'd rather he focus on eating better, and that's something you can do with him. Protein shakes are probably not unhealthy, but there's a lot to be said for starting him out on the value of diet early, and educating through that process. And if the diet is sufficient, then the protein shake is not necessary to build muscle. I'd recommend that he see a dietician about it, because he probably trains quite hard, and you would be surprised at how much energy and protein is required. So that's important as a first step, and then from there, if he eats well, trains well, he's still growing and he'll achieve results.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-03-13

Reply to fitnessdoc