Question
Posted by: Cherubino | 2010-02-22

Protein Shakes

I am trying to lose weight by cutting out sugar and junk food. I am not overweight, but can stand to lose a few kilos. Thing is, I''ve never been a great fan of breakfast! Instead of forcing down toast or cereal/porridge in the morning, can I just have a protein shake? I''ve heard that protein shakes can make you gain weight.

Dear Cherubino
Any food can potentially cause weight gain if eaten in excess or if it contains too high a kJ content. Check the protein shake you intend using to see if a serving (with and without the diluting liquid such as milk), does not provide more than 2100 kJ per meal or 1/3 of your energy requirement when slimming. Also make sure that the shake will not overload you with vitamins and minerals (too much of a good thing can also be harmful).

4
Posted by: X | 2010-02-23

Just Juice, like all " real"  or " 100%"  fruit juices may contain no added sugar, but it is full of fruit sugar or fructose. Fructose may have a lower glycaemic index than sucrose (table sugar) - in other words it raises bloodsugars more slowly -, BUT fructose is used by the body as a signal to store fat. This comes from our hunter-gatherer past, where fruit was only available in the summer (when other foods were also plentiful), and the body therefore recognises fructose as a signal that it is a good time to up hunger / appetite and store every spare kJ as fat for the lean winter that was on its way.

I would not drink Just Juice while trying to loose weight.

Reply to X
Posted by: X | 2010-02-23

Annique''s Lifestyle Shakes will not make you gain weight, and they taste great!

I think in general, protein shakes will only make you gain weight when you drink them in addition to 3 meals and 2 snacks per day, not when you use them to replace a meal.

Reply to X
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-02-23

Dear Cherubino

Posted by: Cherubino | 2010-02-22

Also, how good are the Just Juice drinks? it says they contain no added sugar?

Reply to Cherubino